3 Steps, ~1 hour
Goal: Remove the compression tape and rough lugs in final preparation for wrapping.
Materials: • Rounded File • Sandpaper • Razor • Dust Mask • Safety Goggles • Gloves
8.1 Prepare Lugs for Wrapping | Remove Compression Tape
• After 2.5 hours, remove the compression tape.
• Use a razor if necessary to get the compression tape out from the carbon fiber.
8.2 Prepare Lugs for Wrapping | File & Sand Fiberglass
• Put on your dust mask, safety goggles and gloves. This step creates a lot of fine dust that you don’t want to get in your eyes or breathe in. Some people get itchy from contact with the fiberglass dust, so safety sleeves are recommended.
• Take the four-sided file.
• Support the head tube with your off hand.
• Your aim is to remove stress concentrators on a macro level, and rough up the surface of the cured epoxy on a micro level.
• You want to remove all smooth fiberglass surfaces, so that the carbon fiber adheres to the fiberglass.
• Once roughed, the fiberglass turns opaque.
8.3 Prepare Lugs for Wrapping | File & Sand Remaining Lugs
• Repeat method described above with remaining Lugs.