4 steps, 1 hour
Goal: Install your brake bridge.
Materials: • Gloves • Safety Sleeves • Epoxy Resin • Epoxy Hardener • Mini Pump • Plastic Cup • Mixing Stick • Compression Tape • Scissors • Brake Bridge Mount • Brake Bridge • 1/4″-20 bolts • Files
10.1 Install Brake Bridge | Remove Compression Tape
• Put on your gloves.
• Find the end of the tape and pull to unwind.
• Oftentimes the tape will tear as your remove it. Use scissors or a razor if necessary.
• Remove all the tape. You can remove any tape that is caught between the carbon fibers with a file when you finish the bike.
10.2 Install Brake Bridge | Install Brake Bridge Mount
10.3 Install Brake Bridge | Carbon Wrap Brake Bridge
• This step uses epoxy resin. Make sure you have adequate ventilation: open your windows, and if you have a fan turn it on. Put on your gloves, sleeves, apron and mask. Make sure the temperature in your space stays above 70 F (21 C).
• Put on your gloves, sleeves, apron and mask.
• Push two pumps of clear epoxy and two pumps of red hardener into a plastic cup.
• Mix until uniform color – about 30 seconds of sustained mixing. No streaks!
• This will take 30 minutes to begin to cure. As the resin sets it will get hot. Take care not to burn yourself – once it gets warm, rinse out the resin with water and mix up a new batch.
• Use your file to rough the carbon on the Seat Stays where you will be wrapping the Brake Bridge. If there are any large bumps where the Seat Stay will sit, remove them with the file so that the Break Bridge can lie flat.
• Pick up the extra small spool of carbon, and using the Four Laws of Wrapping, lock off your carbon fiber on your Seat Stay Left, near the Break Bridge.
• Wrap around the left side of the Break Bridge, using the Break Bridge notch to anchor your wrapping.
• After you have wrapped this side, cut the carbon fiber and lock off your carbon fiber on the Seat Stay Left.
• Now wrap the right side of the Break Bridge, using the notch to anchor your wrapping.
• Lock off your carbon fiber on the Seat Stay Right.
10.4 Install Brake Bridge | Compress Brake Bridge
• Once you’ve wrapped the Break Bridge, compress the Break Bridge and the Seat Lug, with the compression tape, adhesive side UP.
• It’s very important that you pull the tape as tense as possible. Push the compression tape to its limit.
• Keep the tape flat. If the tape cuts into the lug, this will induce a stress concentrator which will later need to be removed with excessive filing, removing too much carbon.
• Wrap as tight as you can without wrinkling the compression tape.
• Wipe off any excess resin with a rag.
• Leave this tape on for 2.5 hours.